SAVORY POLENTA WAFFLES WITH BAKED CHICKEN
For THE CHICKEN
8 Boneless chicken thighs (small to medium in size)
1 container of whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tsp Dried basil
1 tsp Dried tarragon
1 tsp Dried thyme
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Onion powder
Pinch of Pepper
1 cup whole wheat flour
For THE WAFFLE
1 1/2 Cups BOB's polenta
1/2 Tbsp of baking powder
1/4 Cup of cornstarch
3 Cups of milk
2 Tbsp of butter
1 1/2 Cups of sharp cheddar
For THE SYRUP
½ cup of maple syrup
2 tbsp of Huy Fong (Sriracha producer) Chili Garlic Sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and get your waffle maker out and preparing to heat. Get out 3 mixing bowls for prepping the chicken and you will need one bowl for the waffle batter.
2. Wash and dry the chicken thighs. In one bowl mix together all dried herbs, breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese. In another bowl, put the whole wheat flour. In the last bowl, beat the 2 eggs.
3. First, dust the thighs with flour. Second, dredge the thighs in the egg. Third, cover the thighs thoroughly with the herb parmesan breadcrumb mix.
4. Place them on a grate that will fit nicely on your baking sheet. Put the chicken in the oven for about 30 minutes uncovered, until nicely browned and cooked thoroughly.
5. Combine all waffle ingredients together in a mixing bowl and mix slowly with the hand-held mixer. Do not over mix. Feather in the grated cheese AFTER the other ingredients is mixed well. Distribute the waffle batter to your waffle maker and if you have a toaster oven, set to bake at the lowest temp and keep your waffles warm and crisp in there until everything is ready to be served.
6. For a super delicious spicy sweet maple syrup, combine the syrup with the chili garlic sauce and mix together. It’s unbelievable. If you don’t like spice, omit the chili sauce.
7. Once the chicken is baked, plate the waffle with two thighs and drizzle with the garlic chili maple syrup.
8. Enjoy this healthier version of chicken waffles with the Rotie!