April 1, 2018 |
Mushroom and Goat Cheese Risotto
Print Recipe Here
2 lbs of mushrooms – Mix of Porcini, Champignon, and Oyster
1 lb of pancetta – cubed
1 – 6oz log of goat cheese
4 oz of freshly grated parmesan
2 cups of Arborio Rice
1 large red onion - diced
6 cloves of garlic - pressed
6-8 cups of chicken stock – warmed
1 cup of dry white wine – Sauv Blanc, Pinot Grigio, etc.
1 bunch of Italian parsley
2 tbsp of Olive oil
Pinch of Pepper (No Salt – enough comes from the chicken stock and the pancetta)
Bonus: 8 eggs – poached
1. Begin by cubing the pancetta into small bite-size pieces. In a large pan (which will be used the duration of this dish), brown the pancetta till crisp on all sides. Once cooked, take the pancetta out of the pan and set aside, leaving the browned bits and juices behind.
2. Add a tbsp of olive oil. Once the olive oil is hot, toss in the diced onion and pressed garlic. Stirring frequently, sweat the onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
3. Add in the Arborio rice. Stir constantly letting the rice become slightly browned. This takes about 3-5 minutes.
4. The first liquid to add is the 1 cup of wine (room temperature). Once the liquid is being added, stirring needs to be constant. This whole process will take you roughly 25-30 minutes of stirring. Just put on some good music and pour yourself a glass of wine. It goes by quick. Once the wine is absorbed, it’s time to start adding the chicken stock one cup at a time. Wait for each to be absorbed before adding the next. You don’t want mushy risotto, the final product should remain al dente before adding the cheese.
5. Add in the raw mushrooms around the 4th cup of stock. This recipe takes roughly 6 cups. Stir in the mushrooms and they will begin to meld into the dish. Once your risotto is at an al dente point, add in the small package of goat cheese and stir in. At this point, add the cooked pancetta as well.
6. Stir until everything is perfectly blended and your risotto is at a perfect al dente consistency.
7. Chop up some fresh Italian parsley and garnish lightly. Also, top with a little fresh grated parmesan if you wish.
8. For extra protein points, poach an egg and place it on top of the risotto as the crowning achievement. The beautiful yoke will transform the dish to a whole other level. Enjoy!!!
Pair with the El Coro Pinot Noir